This degree allows students to focus on graduate course work in mathematics education.
- B.A. degree in education or a related field from an accredited four-year institution. GPA of 3.0 on the last 60 units with defined exceptions on a provisional basis. Provisional admission may be made to applicants who meet all criteria, but fall between 2.5 and 3.0 in their GPA.
- Fifteen units of previous coursework should be within preservice education. Provisional admission may be granted to applicants who meet all other admission criteria, but have not completed 15 units of preservice education coursework. The coursework must be completed within the first year of their M.A. program.
- One year of teaching in a full-time instructional position within a school setting. Student teaching can count as an instructional experience.
Students may meet with an advisor in TLS to clarify exceptions to the above entrance requirements. Exceptions allow admittance on a provisional basis, but provisional admittance may extend the minimal unit requirements for completion of the degree.
Minimum of 33 units of graduate courses required.
- Major Core (9 units)
- TLS 570 Introduction to Educational Research.
- TLS 539 Recent Research on Teaching and Schooling
- TLS 545 Curriculum Theory and Policy
- Supporting Coursework (24 units): Students may select from:
- TLS 541 Equity and Social Justice in Mathematics/Science Education
- TLS 519 Learning in Science and Mathematics
- TLS 542 School Mathematics and Science: History, Curriculum, and Reform
- TLS 538 Teaching Science and Mathematics Methods to Preservice Teachers
- TLS 596 Indigenous Knowledge in Mathematics and Science
- TLS 562 Groupwork in Diverse Classrooms
- TLS 565 Discourse and Identity
- Students are also encouraged to complete at least 6 units of coursework outside the Department of Teaching and Teacher Education. A student may take up to 3 units of independent study and/or 3 units of workshop courses.
- Supervised Field Experience (6 units) TLS 593 - Internship (6 units) Required of students who do not have at least 2 years of teaching experience by the completion of the M.A. degree. These units are beyond the minimal 33 required units.
email us: firstname.lastname@example.org