Educational Psychology Minor

About the minor

The educational psychology minor provides a foundation of knowledge and skills of the social, emotional, and cognitive processes involved in learning. Educational psychologists apply their findings to improve the learning process.

How can I benefit from a minor in educational psychology?

Coursework in Educational Psychology can help you:

  • Strengthen you major with a broadly-applicable minor by gaining valuable learning skills, preparing for advanced coursework, and expanding your areas of expertise;
  • Develop an understanding of complex cognitive, social, and motivational influences on learning, behavior, and mental health;
  • Apply theories of human development to understand normative and individual differences in learning that can inform instructional practices;
  • Develop an understanding of assessment concepts in diverse educational and informal settings;
  • Evaluate the policies and practices of systems (e.g., educational, health, and community);
  • Develop critical thinking skills, an understanding of learning processes, and apply research to assess and improve educational and other learning situations in the areas of education, health, sports, community, and non-profit settings.



The educational psychology minor consists of a total of 18 EDP units (including at least 9 upper division units)

Core coursework (3–6 units):

  • EDP 200 – Evolution and Human Development (3 units)
  • EDP 301* – Educational Psychology and Child & Adolescent Development (3 units)

Electives (12–15 units):

  • EDP 314* – Learning in Informal Setting (3 units)
  • EDP 340 – Research in Education (3 units) 
  • EDP 358 – Psychological Measurement in Education (3 units)
  • EDP 403 – Preadolescent & Adolescent Development (3 units)
  • EDP 405* – Public Education in the US: Policy & Practice (3 units)
  • EDP 410* – Decision Making Across the Life Span (3 units)
  • EDP 492A – Directed Research in Educational Psychology (3 units)

*Courses offered online and in-person



  • Educational specialist
  • Educational/vocational counselor
  • Educational software consulting
  • Instructional specialist
  • Early intervention specialist
  • Academic advisor
  • Career center director
  • Research assistant
  • Social service caseworker



For more information or to declare this minor, please call the College of Education’s Office of Student Services at (520) 621-7865 or email.