Writing a Thank You Letter to Your Scholarship Donor
College of Education scholarships are supported by generous donors who care about our students and education. These donors appreciate interaction with current scholarship recipients. With that in mind, we ask that you write a thank you letter to the donor who made your scholarship possible. Failure to do so may limit your consideration for a future award.
Format & Mechanics:
· Your thank you letter must be written on letter size stationery.
The use of thank you cards are not acceptable.
· Type or hand write (good penmanship only) your thank you letter.
· Your thank you letter must include your typed/printed name and your signature.
· Your thank you letter must be at least two paragraphs in length.
· Make sure your letter is organized and grammatically correct.
· Use spell check and grammar check tools. Ask a friend or family member to proofread your letter.
It is always good to have a second set of eyes to look over your work. Remember you are representing
yourself, as well as the College of Education.
· Please do not send your thank you letter as an e-mail attachment, it must be mailed.
· When in doubt or if you have questions, please feel free to ask for help.
Tips to help you write a thank you letter:
Please construct a thoughtful, professional thank you letter with your signature on the bottom.
Example of salutation should be:
August 15, 2012
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Smith:
Refer to the scholarship by its name as shown in your award letter.
Tell the donor about yourself:
· Where you are from
· Year of study (junior, graduate, etc.)
· Why you chose the UA
· Your campus and community involvement
· Professional affiliations
· Positive experiences you have gained from attending the UA
· How the scholarship helped you (do not mention the amount of your scholarship award)
· Future career plans
The closing of the letter should include your signature and return address (regular mail and e-mail) so the donor can write you if s/he chooses.
If you have any other questions regarding your thank you letter, please contact Tracy Kenyon, Coordinator , Student Supportat 520-621-4750 or firstname.lastname@example.org