How can I participate in the Arizona Teachers Academy?
- Students can participate through programs at the University of Arizona, Northern Arizona University, and Arizona State University
Are all of the teacher certification programs at the three universities participating in the academy?
- No, the three universities have selected certain programs for the academy.
- The University of Arizona’s eligible programs are:
- The secondary certification program (Teach Arizona) prepares middle and high school teachers in English, math, science, social studies, and world languages
- The mild to moderate special education program.
* Both of these programs target career changers and those who have earned a bachelor’s degree. Students complete these programs with a master’s degree.
* The Teach Arizona secondary program prepares students in the Tucson and Phoenix areas. The mild to moderate special education program prepares students in Tucson only.
How do I find out more about these two University of Arizona programs?
Do I have to apply to the university certification program prior to applying for the Arizona Teachers Academy?
- Yes, the first step is to apply to the specific university program. If accepted to that program, you may apply for the Arizona Teachers Academy.
- Go to the program website for application information and a link to the application.
Will all of the students who apply to the academy be accepted?
- No, unfortunately, the budget does not allow for all applicants to be part of the academy. It is a competitive process. It is possible that we will increase the academy budget over the next five years.
What part of my tuition is waived if I am accepted into the Arizona Teachers Academy?
- The University of Arizona will give academy students tuition waiver rewards during the summer, fall, and spring semesters.
What must I give back in return for this tuition assistance?
- You must teach for one year in a high-needs school in Arizona. The academy does not dictate the school at which you teach. You may apply to any high-needs Arizona school(s) upon graduation.
Are there other financial aid options if I am not selected for the academy?
- Yes, the UA College of Education and Graduate College offer scholarships. There are also federal TEACH grants for which a student may apply.